Friday Footnote #26
Each week we share loads of content amongst Team ION and with our network. Content which inspires us, which we find helpful or that just makes us smile. We thought we would start sharing these insights every Friday. Welcome to Friday footnote!
The power of virtual networking
We love networking in Team ION. Catching up with our network (old and new) over a good coffee is one of the things we have missed during lockdown. That's why we set up ION Open Doors.
It's been a particularly busy week this week networking wise (yesterday especially!).
Earlier in the week our Bangor colleagues ran there 'Supporting staff out of furlough' session, with some fantastic real-life examples shared by those in attendance. Keep an eye out for a similar session at ION Open Doors in November.
Yesterday saw us attend 3 different events, whilst also running our own weekly virtual networking session. First up was the all-day Business Wales Virtual Regional Roadshow. With guests speakers including Lee Waters MS, breakout sessions and a virtual exhibition hall (which ION were part of) it was a great opportunity to chat about the current business situation in Wales and find out more about the support available. Adam and Suzanne attended the event, with Adam jumping out halfway through to run our own networking session, ION Open Doors.
A few weeks ago we were delighted to announce our membership of the Swansea City Business Network. Yesterday saw our very own Kaye Harris-John attend the networks first virtual event, where delegates heard from, amongst others, new Swansea City Chief Executive Julian Winter and friend of ION Danni Watts-Jones.
Yesterday also saw the Institute of Leadership & Management run their Taking coaching conversations online event. Our very own Executive Coach Shelly attended, so we look forward to hearing what she learn at the session.
- 4 secrets of successful side hustles (TED)
- How to make your coaching contagious (Institute of Leadership & Management)
- 5 leadership books to help transform you into a modern leader (Inc)
- Covid-19: How to get back to better, not just back to normal (EY)
- This simple hack may eliminate your Zoom fatigue for good (Fast Company)
- The effects of lack of sleep on our decision-making abilities (ION)
- "Serious" leaders need self-care too (Harvard Business Review)
- This is our big chance to create better workplaces (The Financial Times)
- How can firms detoxify the legacy of a narcissistic leader? (Institute of Leadership & Management)
- 5 musts for Next-Gen leaders (MIT Sloan Management Review)
Support & Advice
- International Leadership Week takes place between 16-19 November and the Institute of Leadership & Management have a number of 30-minute webinars packed with interviews, panel discussions and debates. Find out more on their website.
Events are running throughout October and November, where you can have your say on the future economies of Mid Wales and South West Wales. Book your place.
Would you like to increase your brand amongst the Swansea University student population, or do you want to inspire the next generation of their career journeys? The School of Management is hosting a virtual student networking event on 5 November. To get involved email Morwenna on email@example.com
Time to re-charge the batteries
It's half-term next week so our Marketing Manager Adam, who pulls #FridayFootnote together, is taking some time off to spend with his family. Therefore, Friday Footnote will be taking a break next week. Our social media channels might be a little quieter next week also.
In his book ‘The Art of Creative Thinking’, Rod Judkins talks about pausing for thoughtlessness. He believes 'the geniuses of the twenty-first century will be those who can unplug from the unyielding flow of incoming communication: emails, tweets, Facebook, phone calls'.
Become an extraordinary leader
Due to popular demand, last week we announced our next ILM Level 5 Leading Growth programme which will start in July 2021. Places are expected to book up fast so we'd encourage you to check it out ASAP. Due to the current coronavirus pandemic, our programmes are currently delivered virtually until we are able to deliver face-to-face.
Our leadership programmes are currently fully-funded until the end of August 2021. Check out our courses page to find out more about upcoming courses and get in touch with us if you have any questions.
PS - Missed previous #FridayFootnotes?